So while hubby continues with his meat fests, I am a carb girl and need some sort of carb with my meat. As such I have come up with a delicious (and extremely fattening) side for any BBQ. There are loads of alternative ways to mix this up but the basic recipe stays the same, I’ll list a load of different ways, and a few cheat ideas at the end.
Butter (block of it!)
Bag of baby potatoes
Clove of garlic
I boiled the pots on the stove for about 15 mins until they were soft. In the meantime I minced all the garlic in a masher, and mixed it into the butter (which I left out on the side so it was soft). Stirred in a good pinch of salt and mixed in the pots when they were cooked.
Now this is the clever part, I then handed the pan over to hubby, with his skillet thing for him to finish on the BBQ. He heats up the pan and gets them all crispy and it’s like he’s created these amazing potatoes. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and viola!
- Add a tblsp of cumin or curry powder to the butter to make Spicy ones.
- Add spinach and onions to the above to make a Bombay style one.
- Add 2 tblsps of paprika to make a smoky version.
- Add juice of a lemon and tblsp of parsley, perfect with fish.
- Add 50g of parmasean and tblsp of basil to the butter, make them Italian style.
- Add bacon lardons or pancetta to the original or Italian version.
- Also once cooled could also mix through some mayo for an alternative potato salad. This would work with any of the above versions.
Cheat ideas (always good to speed things up)!
- Buy pre minced garlic (be careful though as this is stronger than normal!).
- Melt your butter in the microwave if it’s too hard and then stir in the garlic.
- Beware – fresh herbs will add a different taste, more fresh and in depth compared to dry herbs. All depends on if you can be bothered with fresh ones!
- If other half moans about putting them on the BBQ or you want to do it without a BBQ do exactly the same but stick them on a baking tray and pop in a hot oven for 15/20 mins.